· Our track is crumbling and deteriorating beyondrepair.
· The artificial Turf is 13 years old, far surpassing the industry life expectancy of 8-10 years. Many “blades” of grass are breaking off daily, materials are disintegrating, surface is becoming slippery, hard andunsafe.
· The bleachers and press box are out of date and are not ADAcompliant. We would like to have safe seats and accessibility for all of our guests andspectators.
· We have a major lack of storage for the athletics and facilities departments. We have been using portable storage trailers to store valuable and necessary equipment. More storage is needed for ourtrack and field equipment as well as for all of the machines used by our facilitiesdepartment.
· Upper Hayes field has no water and is not a usable competition space.
The Master Plan:
In the Spring of 2016 the WPS School Committee authorized the hiring of Huntress Associates to create a Master Plan for the project. The plan includes all of what we COULD do to repair and improve our facility.
· Resurface the track in a new color including the “D” areas and add a straightaway with 8 lanes to the far side of thetrack.
· Replace the artificial turf.
· Replace the existing home bleachers- including adding a new walkway with handicap accessibility along the top of the hillside, and “closed” style bleachers for added safety.
· Remove the visiting bleacher and replace that area with a storage shed and proper landscaping.
· Replace the press box with a one level handicap accessible press box including upgraded sound equipment with proper installation to reduce over-spill noise.
· Add field lighting to the turf/track area.
· Construct an artificial turf on the Jimmy Hayes field that is regulation size and able to host games.
· Improve landscaping for privacy screening to campus neighbors.
The total cost for all the items included inthe Master Plan would be approximately$3.5 million.
Decisions about whatitems will be included in the final project willbe based on a number of factors, including community input, funding sources,and School Committeedecisions.